How long does it take?
Treatments are clinic based, 60mins, with daily routine maintenance at home
What type of anaesthetic is used?
Topical gel anaesthetic when required
Informed consent, ‘prepped’ skin, clinical photography
Scarring & impact on skin
Back to work & socially presentable
Back to exercise
Routine maintenance at home
Depending on treatment plan
Programme of bespoke planned treatments
What is Skin Health?
Skin health and vitality reflects inner wellbeing as well as our exposure to the environment. It is an indicator of general health and is under daily attack from both internal and external influences which can accelerate the ageing process.
The good news is that we can control the challenges to the skin, and reverse existing damage with excellent skin health programmes – ‘at home’ treatments supported with state of the art technology in-clinic and our signature facials. We have all your skin concerns covered…
Start loving the skin you’re in! We all desire beautiful flawless skin but maybe don’t believe it can be achieved. Our bespoke, well-planned programmes incorporate skin health and lifestyle changes a comprehensive approach for vital, youthful skin.
Why would you consider skin health treatments?
Ageing results in significant skin change. A loss of collagen and changes in the dermal glycosaminoglycan matrix reduce hydration. Changes in the cellular composition of the skin cause fine lines and wrinkles, pigmentation, and a rough, course texture. Redness, high colour and the appearance of fine red blood vessels can all appear and prematurely age the skin.
We have programmes to suit all skin concerns, budgets and lifestyles. We’ll start with an education in healthy skin health practice and then plan for specific treatments and procedures to address the specific skin concern.
Good skin health commands a healthy ‘diet’. Feed your skin a balanced ‘diet’ of the right nutrients and you will achieve a healthier, glowing, even skin. Supplement the ‘diet’ with enhancing treatments and you have the recipe for good skin health.
At the Jonathan Britto Clinic we treat many skin health concerns with a variety of proven procedures and selected products. We have the luxury of hand picking the best products from some of the leading skin brands and matching these with a range of cosmeceutical (prescription only) skin health treatments. In the hands of an experienced plastic surgeon and team these can be used safely and effectively to treat a range of concerns:
- Ageing skin
There are numerous changes that happen in the skin with ageing. The rate of cellular activity and the turnover cycle of growth and repair dramatically reduces. Skin laxity, lines and wrinkles, sagging and shallow skin soon follow. Most skincare available in the High Street can make the skin feel temporarily more hydrated and plumper, but it cannot penetrate to the deeper layers where the cellular activities are malfunctioning. At the Jonathan Britto clinic we use the leading dermatological skin cosmeceuticals with scientifically formulated delivery systems. The active ingredients are formulated to penetrate to where they are needed – under medical guidance – to make significant changes to the health and appearance of the skin. Using a cocktail of cosmeceuticals and prescription topical creams, we can ‘wipe away’ the years.
- Rosacea, Red thread veins & High Colour
High colour, broken veins and a red rugged complexion indicate a ‘weathered’ aged appearance. Redness in the face ranges in severity from a mild transient high colour to a severe redness and rosacea. High colour and ‘flushing’ in the skin can be linked to hormonal fluctuations affecting the face, neck and décolleté. Red thread veins or broken veins typically appear around the nose and across the cheeks and may merge to form larger patches of ‘spider’ veins. These vascular disorders can be treated using a combination strategy of skin health, sclerosing agents, electrocautery and Lasers.
This is a skin disorder that is recognised by a large, red course textured nose and midface. Rhinophyma arises from proliferation of the sebaceous glands of the skin (sebaceous hyperplasia), compounded by low grade infection. There are breakouts, blocked pores and irregular oiliness to the skin surface, typical to the allied condition of Rosacea. Varying degrees of severity typically affect men in their 50’s; and will be treated by a range of topical peels and maintenance before considering a surgical approach; in combination with lifestyle changes (stopping smoking).
Adult acne is becoming more common. This distressing skin condition causes physical damage to the skin as well as having a great psychological impact. The causes of acne are both internal and external. At the Jonathan Britto Clinic our approach to acne is multidisciplinary. There is a three part plan: diagnosis, control, and maintenance.
We take an approach in lifestyle medicine and an approach in skin health. Skin health programmes are formulated to address the symptoms, and the condition of the components of the skin. Bespoke programmes in lifestyle programmes are recommended to reduce inflammation, regulate hormonal balance, and regulate the metabolism of the skin. Our approach is evidence based, and effective, and maintenance therapies with mental ship provide a long-term benefit.
Specialised technologies including light therapy can be incorporated into the programme to avoid long term risks such as scarring and post inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
- Open pores and coarse texture
Arrrgggghhhh – my skin!
It is a misconception that pores can be ‘closed’ but the appearance of enlarged or distended pores can be significantly reduced using specific skin health programmes, specialised technologies to clean and exfoliate the skin and chemical peels.
Often associated with oily skin, pores can become blocked leading to unsightly blackheads. Topical skin care targets exfoliation, oil control and cellular turnover while chemical peels achieve a deep resurfacing changing the structure of the skin to give a smoother refined appearance.
- Pigmentation and Melasma
Uneven pigmentation takes many forms. From pinhead age spots to large flat “lentigines” and naevi, these pigmentation areas can be very distressing.
The causes are wide, from freckles caused by sun exposure to deep melasma staining caused by hormonal disturbances. Skin pigmentation is complex and there is potential to make the condition permanently worse if misdiagnosed and incorrectly treated.
Skin health programmes are prescribed for bespoke treatments using easy to use cocktails of topical medications which interrupt melanin – pigment forming pathways and reduce the deposition and density of dark pigment. Lasers and chemical peels form the second line of defence to achieve brighter skin that is even in colour and texture which is maintained with ongoing skin health advice.
- Dark circles
There are three main causes of dark circles; pigment: dark brown pigmentation due to increased melanin production; tiny blood vessels visible through the thin skin of the eye area and seen as ‘purplish’ shadow; and volume loss: a sunken ‘trough’ caused by a volume imbalance in the skin, muscle, or fat under the eye which collects shadow and appears as a ‘dark circle’.
There may be a single cause or a combination of two or all three factors and this will direct the planning of the treatment. Accurate analysis and an experienced, well planned combination of treatments will achieve a significant long-term reduction. Dark circles caused by pigmentation variations can be successfully treated with prescription topical creams, lasers and other skin health strategies including chemical peels and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP).
- Chemical Peels
Chemical skin peels restore, revitalise and regenerate the skin, removing some of the visible signs of ageing and restoring the skin health. Environmental skin damage assaults our skin from birth to maturity, and we have the means to defend and protect our vital skin against the prevails of the modern World: the city toxins, and the sun damage via a diminishing ozone layer.
Chemical peels refresh, rejuvenate and rebuild the skin, for the prevention of skin damage and to treat and reverse existing skin damage and ageing. At the Jonathan Britto Clinic we use a range of chemical peels to suit all budgets and social commitments and with the options of light, medium and deep chemical peeling techniques.
We are able to advise the peel that suits you and suits your skin. For our deeper chemical peels, we use the Obagi Blue peel that gives superior results on many skin problems from severe sun damage to acne scarring. Our medium and light chemical peels work on moderate to mild ageing concerns and can be safely given to prevent ageing and promote skin health.
- Chemical peels are recommended to treat:
- Pigmentation. From melasma to hyperpigmentation, many pigmentation concerns can be improved with chemical peels.
- Sun damaged skin – Actinic elastosis (also referred to as solar elastosis) is a condition that is caused by extreme sun damage and as a result the skin rapidly, looks ‘leathery’ in appearance and lines form in a ‘hashtag’ structure. Rough textured, thickened pigmented skin is associated with sun damage and chemical peels not only peel away the visible damage they can reverse some of the damage caused to the skin cells. Chemical peeling techniques can be used on any areas that have been repeatedly exposed to the sun including the face, scalp, back of the neck, neck and décolleté and hands.
- Fine lines and wrinkles. Specialised peels can be used to target the delicate area around the eyes and mouth giving smooth, clear, firmer skin. Often these fine lines and textural irregularities are difficult to treat with dermal fillers and chemical peeling offers superior results that last.
- Scarring. Acne scarring can be difficult to treat but for some patients’, chemical peels offer superior results over other treatment modalities. Post-surgical scars can be treated with chemical peels along with a range of trauma scars.
- Rough textured skin and open pores. Working on different depths of the skin, chemical peels can refine and smooth uneven thickening in the skin and reduce the appearance of enlarged pores and differences in texture from one part of the face to another.
- Rhinophyma. Categorised as a severe form of rosacea, this condition sees a thickening and deformation of the skin on the nose. Combined with topical medication creams including antibiotics, deep chemical peels offer a safe and effective treatment for this distressing condition.
The foundation of best outcome for all surgical and non-surgical procedures at the Jonathan Britto clinic is great skin. With our multi-disciplinary approach, we offer bespoke treatment plans to get you the skin you’ve always wanted. Combining skin health principles with lifestyle programmes, topical skincare and in clinic treatments, we educate our patients in how to look after their skin and achieve optimal results. We hand pick the best products from the leading skin brands to suit all budgets. Many of our chosen brands are only available to approved clinics who have the required level of knowledge and expertise in advanced skin health practice. At the Jonathan Britto clinic we offer ZO skincare formulated by leading dermatologist Dr Zein Obagi, Obagi skincare, and pHformula along with other leading brands. Our ‘skin health service’ is multi-disciplinary, medical and beauty evidence-based and our practitioners are regularly selected as Ambassadors in recognition of their skill and expertise.
Using patented intradermal delivery systems key ingredients can be transported and absorbed in the deeper active layers of the skin, creating positive changes in the skin cells, reversing skin damage and promoting healthy cell growth. These changes translate into visible skin health improvements, smoothing fine lines and wrinkles, and providing an even skin tone, texture and ‘turgor’ – to ‘feel the benefits from inside and out!’
Personalised skin care programmes and our signature facials allow you to leave it to us to plan treatments to suit all skin types and the challenges of the seasons, modifying your care to ‘rest’ the skin, to ‘boost’ the skin and to prepare you for your diary commitments the whole year round.
Skin health programmes are recommended to treat:
- Chronic redness and rosacea. Inflammatory disorders of the skin can be seen in many forms and chronic redness and rosacea is a common skin complaint suffered by men and women. Using combination strategies of anti-inflammatory skin health both topically and systemically these conditions can be greatly improved resulting in prevention of premature ageing as a result of chronic inflammation.
- Acne. Adult onset acne is a common phenomenon of our modern day life.
- Pigmentation. From melasma to hyperpigmentation, many pigmentation concerns can be improved with carefully planned and prescribed skincare programmes.
- Sun damaged skin – Actinic elastosis (also referred to as solar elastosis) is a condition that is caused by extreme sun damage and as a result the skin rapidly, looks ‘leathery’ in appearance and lines form in a ‘hashtag’ structure. Rough textured, thickened pigmented skin is associated with sun damage and prescribed skincare can reverse the damage and repair and regenerate new healthy cells.
- Fine lines and wrinkles. Prescribed skin health programmes can be used to target the signs of ageing on the face, neck, décolleté and hands.
- Scarring. Acne-scarring can appear as a combination of scarring and pigmentation. Combination approaches can treat both components beautifully and it all starts with good skin health and appropriate skincare. Post-surgical scars can be treated with prescribed skin care.
- Rough textured skin and open pores. Unlike over the counter skincare our medical grade skin health programmes can target the deeper layers of the skin where the damage starts. Thick skin is often a result of lifestyle choices and sun damage. The ‘outside’ skin that is visible is thickened with open pores and is rough in texture whereby the deeper layers of ‘new’ skin are often thin and lacks volume. Prescribed skincare can reverse this unbalanced ratio giving a smoother, firmer skin in each ‘skin zone’ – from delicate thin eyelids to the thicker skin of cheek and chin.
- As a precursor to chemical peels. For both medium and deep chemical peeling the skin needs to be carefully prepared with prescribed skincare to avoid risks associated with chemical peels and to maximise the chemical peel results. A programme for post chemical peel and maintenance would be introduced to prolong the results of all our chemical peels.
- LED Dermalux™
Dermalux™ LED Phototherapy is a non-invasive face and body treatment that uses narrow band, non-thermal LED light energy to trigger the body’s natural cell processes to accelerate rejuvenation and repair of the skin.
LED utilises the rejuvenating benefits of safe light therapy, whilst avoiding the adverse effects associated with sunlight. Dermalux® harnesses advanced LED technology providing controlled exposure and absorption at specific depths in the skin to red, blue and near infrared light which are clinically proven to be beneficial to the body by energising cellular repair to treat a whole range of common skin concerns including: wrinkles, acne and rosacea.
Not all LED systems provide the same results and Dermalux® LED Phototherapy is the leading, non-invasive light treatment for visibly radiant, rejuvenated and refined skin.
Dermalux® is a pain free treatment and can be used on all skin types, stimulating the skin’s natural rejuvenation and repair processes to promote healthy looking skin, accelerate cell renewal and resolve a range of skin concerns.
Used as a stand-alone treatment but more commonly combined with surgical and non-surgical treatments its benefits are numerous due to the anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and rejuvenative effects of the light.
Dermalux™ LED Phototherapy is recommended for:
- Skin rejuvenation
- Sun damage
- Eczema, psoriasis and dermatitis
- Sensitive and inflammatory conditions
- Wound healing
- Pre and post skin resurfacing with lasers or chemical peels
Optimal skin health and conditioning relies on ‘feeding’ the skin with the essential nutrients it needs to function both from the inside and out, stimulating the skin into active cellular turnover and repair, replenishing collagen for firm, youthful skin. Applied separately or in combination therapies, mesotherapy supports the nutrition and provides the stimulation needed for glowing skin.
Mesotherapy cocktails rich in antioxidants, peptides and growth factors, delivered to where it’s needed, support skin nutrition which enables optimal function and support. Treatments for both the face and body can be tailor made by skilfully blending mesotherapy ingredients to provide a uniquely personalised treatment addressing a multitude of skin concerns.
Mesotherapy is recommended for:
- Skin tightening
- Cellulite reduction
- Lines and wrinkles
- Spot fat removal
- Micro needling
Micro-needling provides the stimulus the skin needs to activate cellular renewal and collagen regeneration to promote firmer, younger looking skin.
Collagen P.I.N.(Percutaneous Induction Needling) is an advanced micro needling technology that is effective on many common skin problems such as acne scars, fine lines, photo-aging, dull skin, poor texture, stretch marks and scars.
Collagen P.I.N. is a method of introducing a controlled wound into the skin triggering a release of natural growth factors, new collagen & elastin offering incredible results without the pain and downtime. Micro needling is often combined with mesotherapy and PRP for enhanced results.
Micro needling is recommended for:
- Improvement of wrinkles, minimize pore size and induce skin tightening
- Stimulate collagen production
- Improve surgical, traumatic, burn and acne scars
- Pigmentation (brown spots and melasma)
- Stretch marks
- Platelet Rich Plasma
Platelet-Rich Plasma, or PRP as it is commonly shortened to, is a safe, natural skin rejuvenation treatment that has become extremely popular amongst celebrities and the general public alike.
Used to treat injuries in the medical field, PRP has found a natural place in aesthetics due to the safe rejuvenation results promoting visibly radiant skin. PRP is often combined with micro needling procedures for enhanced results particularly when treating scarring.
PRP is a minimally invasive technique, provided in injection form and is sometimes known as the vampire facial. PRP makes use of the body’s unique ability to heal and regenerate. Found in the blood, platelet rich plasma contains a high concentration of growth factors that kickstart cellular repair and collagen production, resulting in a smoother, more radiant complexion.
A small amount of blood is taken from the patient and, from there, it is placed into a centrifuge where it is spun to separate the growth factors, stem cells and platelets from the blood. Once separated, the rejuvenated platelets are micro-injected into the areas to be targeted. Safe and natural, PRP can be incorporated into skin care programmes with minimal recovery.
PRP is recommended for:
- Healing of injured tendons, ligaments, muscles and joints.
- Wrinkles and facial ageing
- Dark circles
- Reduce inflammation and swelling
- Hair Restoration
For as long as attention to skin health maintenance is paid!
The skin is a living organ that is constantly undergoing a process of cellular growth, death and repair. As we age that ability for repair and growth of new cells diminishes and this contributes to the ageing process. This can be further accelerated by sun exposure, poor diet, stress and inadequate attention to skin health.
The evidence is that skin health and lifestyle medicine programmes work! Reverse the damage, treat the cause, maintain the habit – and your skin will reward you!
True skin health strategies are evidence based. By manipulating the biology of the skin for repair and regeneration we gain not just better skin health but improved skin aesthetics – our mentored programmes are designed to support and protect you. The right trajectory for your skin, with minimal risk.
Most of the skin health treatments are completely pain free, indeed they are relaxing and enjoyable. Superficial exfoliating treatments do not disturb the nerve supply of the skin. Treatments that penetrate into the dermis affect nerve endings, and there are some treatments such as deep chemical peels that have a short lived level of discomfort, which disappears completely by the end of the procedure.
- To support improved recovery rates and scar healing.
Healthy skin be able to recover much more effectively and in a controlled response so aiding in scar healing and avoiding post traumatic skin disorders such as post inflammatory pigmentation and breakouts.
- Tissue retraction.
Healthy skin with optimal hydration and elasticity will be more compliant. The compliance and playability of the skin is valuable in surgical recovery as the soft tissue envelope contract over the underlying tissues for a smooth and contoured result.
- Improvements in the visible signs of ageing enhancing surgical results.
A surgery provides form and function – by restoring the optimum relationship of the layers of the ‘soft tissue envelope’ underneath the skin. The skin is re-draped, and the excess is removed.
However, the quality of the skin is intrinsic to the health of the living organ. No aesthetic result is complete without attention to skin health and skin aesthetics!
- Maintenance of surgical results.
We are often asked ‘how long will my surgery last’? The answer is simple, it’s down to you! Adopting lifestyle and skin health strategies will allow these improvements to achieve ‘healthy longevity!.
We are on hand to provide mentored advice and bespoke programmes in skin health and lifestyle medicine to improve the quality of your skin – your bodies largest living organ. Inevitably, these programs will be bespoke according to your diary, your commitment, your aims, and your budget!
For full details of our treatments please contact us today.
Skin conditioning means so much more than “skin-care”. Whereas “skincare” is an industry, inevitably commercially driven, “skin health” is a medical specialty driven by evidence. We work with products and prescriptions that are effective, for health improvements that deliver aesthetic benefit, and quality of life!
Whether in synergy with surgery, or as simple standalone changes of habit to improve the quality of your skin, there is a programme for you – where you will see benefit in health, well-being, and confidence in appearance.
0203 752 1566
0203 752 1566